Memorable Moments in Measurement
- 1850 Gustav Fechner proposes that the mind can be measured; psychophysics is born.
- 1880 Galton is among the first to use questionnaire in psychological research
- 1885 Ebbinghaus measures memory
- 1898 Thorndike invents the puzzle box to examine trial-and-error learning
- 1900 Willard S. Small invents the rat maze
- 1905 Binet measures intelligence
Pavlov measures conditioned responses
- 1928 Thurstone publishes "Attitudes can be measured."
- 1932 Tolman objectively measures internal states
- 1938 B. F. Skinner develops the operant conditioning chamber
Back to Chapter 5 Menu
Back to Research Design Explained Menu